- Reviews (0)
Juniper switch QFX5110-48S-DC-AFO supports 48 SFP+ and 4 QSFP28, front-to-back DC
QFX5110 access and aggregation switches deliver low latency, rich Layer 2 and Layer 3 features, VXLAN overlay deployments, and 100GbE uplinks, making it the industry’s most nimble line of switches.
Featuring L3 gateway capabilities for bridging between virtualized and bare-metal servers, the QFX5110 is designed for extremely agile data centers that demand support for overlay/underlay network architectures. The high-density 10GbE, 40GbE, and 100GbE ports also make the QFX5110 ideally suited for use in data center spine and leaf topologies and campus distribution.
Data centers are rapidly adopting cloud services, whether completely off-premises models or hybrid models with critical services offered through on-premise private clouds. The tremendous growth of off-premises cloud services, coupled with the widespread adoption of overlay technologies, has created a need for highly agile switching platforms that can satisfy the demands of these evolving data centers.
The high-performance Juniper Networks® QFX5110 line of Ethernet switches fit the bill, providing the foundation for dynamic data centers. As a critical enabler for IT transformation, the data center network supports cloud and SDN adoption, network virtualization, integrated/scale-out storage, and the rapid deployment and delivery of mission-critical applications that significantly increase east-west traffic within the data center. Furthermore, increasing demand for 100GbE spine ports is driving the need for 100GbE uplinks for all server access speeds, including 10GbE and 40GbE. The QFX5110 includes 100GbE uplinks, enabling it to support a diverse set of switching architectures, including fabric, Layer 3, and spine-and-leaf deployments, enabling users to easily adapt as requirements change over time. The QFX5110 switch can be positioned in campus distribution and core deployments.
Architecture and Key Components
The QFX5110 switches include 10GbE (fiber) and 40GbE or 100GbE fixed-configuration options with rich Layer 2, Layer 3, and MPLS features. The QFX5110 switches run the same reliable, high-performance Juniper Networks Junos® operating system that is used by the Juniper Networks QFX5100 family of products, EX Series Ethernet Switches, Juniper Networks routers, and Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateways, ensuring a consistent implementation and operation of control plane features across the entire Juniper infrastructure.
QFX5110 Switch Models
The QFX5110 switches are compact, 1 U platforms that provide wire-speed packet performance, very low latency, and a rich set of Junos OS features. In addition to a high-throughput Packet Forwarding Engine (PFE), the performance of the QFX5110 control plane is further enhanced with a powerful 1.8 GHz quad-core Intel CPU with 16 GB of memory and 64 GB SSD storage.
Two QFX5110 switch models are available:
- QFX5110-48S—A 10GbE/100GbE data center access switch, the QFX5110-48S offers 48 small form-factor pluggable plus (SFP+) transceiver ports and four QSFP28 ports that can be configured as 4x40GbE or 4x100GbE ports, with an aggregate throughput of 1.76 Tbps or 1.32 Bpps per switch. For added flexibility, each QSFP28 port can also be configured as 4x10GbE ports using breakout cables, increasing the total number of supported 10GbE ports to 64 per switch.
- QFX5110-32Q—A 40GbE/100GbE data center access and aggregation switch, the QFX5110-32Q offers up to 32 QSFP+ ports, or 20 QSFP+ ports and four QSFP28 ports, with an aggregate throughput of 2.56 Tbps or 1.44 Bpps per switch. For added flexibility, the QSFP+ ports can also be configured as 4x10GbE ports using QSFP+-to-SFP+ direct attach copper (DAC) or QSFP+-to-SFP+ fiber breakout cables and optics, or as 24 4x10GbE and eight QSFP+ ports, increasing the total number of supported 10GbE ports to 96 per switch.
The QFX5110 switches feature the following highlights:
- Support high-density, multi-speed configurations for 10/40/100GbE access and aggregation, with up to 64 or 96 10GbE ports, up to four 100GbE uplink ports, and up to 32 40GbE ports in a 1 U platform
- Deliver up to 2.56 Tbps Layer 2 and Layer 3 performance, with latency as low as 550 nanoseconds
- Include a 1.8 GHz quad-core Intel CPU with 16 GB memory and 64 GB SSD storage
- Feature-rich automation capabilities with support for Python and zero-touch provisioning (ZTP)
- Support virtualization protocols such as Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) and Open vSwitch Database (OVSDB) protocol as L2 Gateway or L3 Gateway
- Offer advanced Junos OS features such as BGP add-path, MPLS, L3 VPN, and IPv6 6PE
The high-performance QFX5110 switches run Junos OS, Juniper’s powerful and robust network operating system that powers all Juniper switches, routers, and firewalls. Key Junos OS features that enhance the functionality and capabilities of the QFX5110 include:
- Software modularity, with process modules running independently in their own protected memory space and with the ability to do process restarts
- Uninterrupted routing and forwarding, with features such as nonstop active routing (NSR) and nonstop bridging (NSB)
- Commit and rollback functionality that ensures error-free network configurations
- A powerful set of scripts for on-box problem detection, reporting, and resolution
Junos OS Software License
The software features supported on the QFX5110 switches are categorized into three tiers: Base, Premium, and Advanced.
- Base software features include basic Layer 2 switching, basic Layer 3 routing, multicast, automation, programmability, zero-touch provisioning (ZTP), and basic monitoring. A Base software features license comes with the purchase of the hardware and does not require any explicit license keys.
- Premium software features include all Base license functionality, plus BGP, IS-IS, and EVPN Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) to explicitly address the needs of enterprise customers. To enable these features, customers must purchase the QFX5K-C1-PFL license, generate unique license keys, and install them on the switch. The license is not portable across devices.
- Advanced software features include all Premium license functionality plus MPLS to explicitly address the needs of data center interconnect and edge use cases. To enable these features, customers must purchase the QFX5K-C1-AFL license, generate unique license keys, and install them on the switch. The license is not portable across devices.
The Premium and Advanced software licenses are classified as Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, etc., and offered as perpetual licenses. Class 1 licenses are applicable to the QFX5110-48S and QFX5110-32Q switches. Please see Ordering Information for license SKU descriptions.
Data Center Deployments
Today’s data centers are typically built with high-performance, small form-factor, multicore blade, and rack servers. The greater compute capacity and server densities enabled by these devices are increasing traffic volume, creating a need for high-speed, low-latency, storage-converged, and I/O-converged networking solutions that can maximize performance for physical servers, virtual servers, and storage.
The QFX5110 switches deliver low-latency, lossless, high-density 10GbE and 40GbE interfaces, as well as 100GbE uplinks to the core network demanded by today’s data center. Furthermore, the QFX5110 offers VXLAN Layer 2 and Layer 3 gateway support, making it an ideal solution for overlay deployments in the data center. All QFX5110 switches are designed to consume the lowest possible power while optimizing space, reducing data center operating costs. Flexible airflow direction options enable the QFX5110 switches to support back-to-front and front-to-back cooling, ensuring consistency with server designs for hot-aisle or cold-aisle deployments.