How to set 5G WiFi on the ONT
Now, I want to share with you how to set 5G WiFi on the ONT. First of all, I want to explain to you that 5G here is different from the 5G we already know.
Differences between 5G and 5GHz
5G and 5 GHz Wi-Fi technically, they do have some things in common. First, both terms revolve around wireless technology.
More specifically, 5G is the cellular standard for digital signals used by mobile phones, in effect an upgrade from the previous 4G mobile network standard.
5 GHz refers to the portion of the radio spectrum used by Wi-Fi devices. Most people only come across this term when connecting to certain Wi-Fi networks or comparing 5 GHz Wi-Fi to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.
Today we’re talking about 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks.
Which ONTs support 5G
Carriers can customize device models. Generally, it is difficult to determine whether a device supports 5 GHz. The most accurate method is to refer to the device specifications of a specific device model. I’m going to summarize my experience for your reference, but not all device models are as follows.
How to set 5G Wi-Fi
Many friends ask about how to set up the ONT 5G network on the forum. Actually, the correct description should be how to set 5 GHz Wi-Fi on the ONT.
Before setting 5 GHz Wi-Fi on an ONT, ensure that the ONT supports 5 GHz Wi-Fi.
Operations on the WebUI
Click the WLAN tab, and choose 5G Basic Network Settings from the navigation tree on the left. In the right pane, configure the basic parameters of the 5G Wi-Fi network.
The ONT WebUI varies according to the ONT model. For some ONT WebUIs, you need to find the configuration interface according to the following instructions:
Click the Advanced Configuration > WLAN tab, and choose 5G Basic Network Settings from the navigation tree on the left. In the right pane, configure the basic parameters of the 5G Wi-Fi network.
Operations on the NMS
Take NCE as an example.
1. Open the Network Management app and choose Topology > View > Physical Topology from the main menu. On the Physical Topology tab page, press Ctrl+F. Enter an NE name or IP address. In the search result list that is displayed, click the name of the target NE. In the Operations area, click NE Explorer.
2. Choose GPON > GPON Management from the navigation tree.
3. On the GPON ONU tab page, set the filter criteria to display the required GPON ONUs.
4. In the GPON ONU list, right-click a record and choose Maintain ONT from the shortcut menu.
After the Maintenance ONT is opened, set 5G WiFi in the WiFi configuration box.
- To configure 5G Wi-Fi on the ONT WebUI, only the administrator account has the configuration permission.
- The preceding operations require that the ONT support 5 GHz Wi-Fi. (If the device does not have the corresponding configuration interface and configuration options, it indicates that the device does not support 5 GHz.)
- The OLT cannot configure the 5 GHz Wi-Fi of the ONT through the CLI.
That’s what I’m sharing today. I hope it’s helpful.